Friday 5 March 2010

Mime Ideas

My initial mime idea is as follows. There will be a character that is trying to eat his lunch but every time he goes to bite something, a bird swoops down and steals it. After this happens for the 2nd time, he enters an invisible box and when the bird swoops in this time, we hear a thud and the character laughs.

From discussing this idea with various people I have realised that, although the idea may work, there is not enough time to do the animation for it as the piece has to be around 20 seconds and this would probably end up being around a minute. Therefore I have been playing around with another idea which should fit in to the 20 seconds.

The second idea involves a character sitting down eating his sandwich. Every time he goes to bite his sandwich, a fly lands on it. He gets rid of it but the third time the fly lands, he gives up and eats the fly and the sandwich together. This has the three main things that a scene needs which are as follows:

An Objective : His goal is to eat his sandwich. An Obstacle : The obstacle is the fly landing on his sandwich, this leads to conflict between him and the fly. A Resolution : He ends up eating the fly with his sandwich, this solves both problems because now there is no more fly and he gets to eat his sandwich.

I have done a rough storyboard for this idea to see how it might look (click on the images to see the full boards) :

After planning the scene out this way, I was a little worried about the amount of time that it would take to fit all of these actions in. Therefore I have put these images along with sound effects in to an animatic. The animatic is shown below:



As you can see, the clip is 19 seconds long so it does fit in to the time. The next stage will be to make sure that I get reference footage for all of the movements in the mime piece. I will record myself doing the entire piece so that I can get a feel for how much thinking time the character need for each action. Some bits may need to be shorter than the animatic, some bits may need to be longer.

I will also take a look at how a mime would move whilst performing these kind of actions. I will post all of this reference material in my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment